Sam, a New Portable Long Duration Ultrasound Device (90 Subs)
Received Date: December 14, 2018; Published Date: December 17, 2018
The SAM (sustained acoustic medicine) is a small, portable device that delivers over 18,000 Joules of energy when 4 crystals are worn for 4 hours. This has been shown to decease trapezius myofascial pain, postoperative shoulder pain and low back pain with a herniated disk. The following is the results of a study comparing SAM and placebo on pain. (Figure 1)
1. Double-blind, placebo controlled trial.
2. N=46 patients with mild-moderate knee osteoarthritis.
3. 2 weeks baseline followed by 6 weeks treatment with SAM, self-applied to medial and lateral aspect of the knee. At least 4 treatments a week.
1. Significant 2.5 VAS pain reduction in active vs. placebo group over 8-week study (p<0.003)
2. Significant 1.35 Weeks of daily reduction in pain vs. placebo group. (p<.001) Based upon the results of the study, SAM is effective at relieving osteoarthritis of the knee.
Conflict of Interest
No Conflict of Interest.